Tuesday, January 27, 2015

"My Life, My Playlist"


Music is the life and passion for me- including myself. Your iPod in my eyes is the soul of the story behind you the person. Your life- happy verse sad, depressed, excited, and etc your Ipod most likely has a song in which fits your mood.




        As I reflect upon my playlist, I began to see how much it describes my life and is my soul. The songs on my playlist are the following: chasing pavements by Adele I kissed a girl- Katy Perry,  unwritten by Natasha Bedingfiel, black by the Dream, coffee by Miguel,  hometown Glory by Adele, be ok by Ingrid Michaelson, and same love by Mackleomore. While I listened over and over again to the playlist and top eight songs, I laid in my bed listening and thinking as if I was an outsider or another individual. As I listen I was coming up with characteristics of I feel someone would think I have as they listen to my playlist.  I came up with the characteristics of gay/bisexual, open to listening to all types of music, spiritual, optimistic, unique and maybe a little emotional. Each characterizes derived from a song and the lyrics of the song. Most of what I imagined an individual to think of me as they listened was mostly true. Lets breakdown the first assumption- gay/bisexual, this assumption came from listening to the song same love by Mackleomore. The song is about same sex relationships and explains how it is a love you cannot change. I am an individual who openly as of December 25th 2014 identifies with the LBGT community- making that assumption true. The song same love holds so much meaning to me, which is why I choose to put it on my playlist, because it is how I was able to build the confidence to come out to my mother. The songs talks about how "you can't change it", which is the exact words I told my mother. She cried and I cried however she said, "I love you". She realized it was who I am not something I was trying to be. So every time I listen the song it truly makes me happy and feels empowered. Other songs like black by the rapper the Dream, is another song that allowed me to get through a major life moment-family racial issues. I grow up begin told that my race was a dishonor to my family last name. I am Irish and African American; my family is a sting proud Irish family. Begin African American was not acceptable, and not worthily of the family last name- Pavich. The song black is a reminder of the power surrounded with identifying with African American. It was a great reminder that I should love who I am. This song also helps identify that I listen to vary types of music. All together my playlist can conclude assumptions of myself, true or not my playlist is truly the outline and daily reminder of my life and the person I am. 




       


5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about music as well. It has become my identity and apart of me that I can't explain on another level. I am also a Macklemore and Ryan Lewis fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarissa, I think its amazing that songs can meet people on a deep, emotional level and I'm very happy that you used the courage a song gave you to do something for yourself. I think no matter what song you listen to, there is some kind of connection you can make between the lyrics and your own life experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan you are correct, no matter what you are listening to it can effect you deeply. Also thank you so much- took long enough but it finally happened. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that music is a reflection of who you are as a person. It is important for one to express who they are through any medium they can. If anyone says that they haven't jammed out to I Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry they are lying, that song rocks anyone's socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your playlist! I have heard almost all the songs and the ones that I hadn’t I listened to while I was reading through your post. I love the ones that I haven’t heard and the ones that I had. I completely agree that the music we listen to is who we are and what we believe in. I love that music is so empowering and helps us find strength in ourselves. Thanks for sharing, I have never thought about the music I listen to at that level. You made me think about and see how the music I listen is who I am and what I feel in my soul.

    ReplyDelete