Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Cutting ties






Our worlds have greatly been impacted by the use of social media and various technology forms- indirect communications. Today I decided to reflect on the question, is it acceptable to break up with someone via a text message or any other forms of indirect communication? To most without hesitation they would say “no”, and I would have to agree.  
I would agree to the answer of "no" because when you have committed yourself to someone by saying your in a relationship, you should have the out most respect for them. With such a huge amount of respect for someone, you should only respect them by discussing relationship manners with said individual. I personal have had the experience in which someone I truly cared about broke up with me via a  text message . All of what I assumed to be going good was ended by three simple words "It is over". I was so crushed and heartbroken, but honestly not sure how someone who had so much respect for me showed such a lack of it. This was the point in my life that I was certain this type of break up or communication was not acceptable. The simple "It is over" or anyway an individual words it leads to no explanation to the individual getting there heart broken. The lack of explanation leaves that individual confused and maybe questioning what is wrong with them. Besides text no other form of social media- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or SnapChat should be used. Direct, face to face communication should be the only type used unless it is not physically possible. When it comes time for something you once thought was a good situation to end- don't treat it that way. Instead I ask that you treat it as if it is a new beginning, one almost like when it started, and show the out most respect for that individual. Despite it all coming to an end something is coming to a new beginning for you.  Lovers or friends handle things the right way.

Xoxo, 
Clarissa 

2 comments:

  1. I couldn’t agree with you more! I have only ever been in one relationship that could have potentially ended via text due to distance, but I am forever grateful that it didn’t. I completely understand the respect aspect of your post because that was one of the major things that really shined through when it came to the ending my romantic relationship - the enormous amount of respect that we had and still have for each other. With a deep connection comes a deep respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that entering a relationship and leaving one requires the same amount of respect. Yes, there are certain situations where text may be the only option. But at all costs an in person explanation is the only option. I don't believe movies or popular culture have influenced this wave of sending break up texts, I believe we feel it is easier and more personally comforting to hide behind our phones in all types of difficult situations.

    ReplyDelete