Thursday, February 5, 2015

Plug in or Plug out?

http://digital.films.com/PortalViewVideo.aspx?xtid=41697
WATCH FLIM HERE!

Tonight I watched the documentary Disconnected, the documentary provided with a great deal of understanding of what it is like for a student to give up their computers back in 2007. During a film documentary class the students all agreed to give up the use of their laptops or another computers. As I noticed before watching the documentary I knew that the film was older and didn’t expect the reaction the students provided for.  Growing up technology has planned a major role in my social life, as well as my educational experience.
During 2007 I was an eleven year old who understood how and why computers were used, but only used them rarely. The students in the documentary, college students were at a point in life that the use of a computer was necessary for class assignments and communication for them. As I watched I really took notes on Katelyn, she really shocked me in the end by the fact she no longer had a need to binge use her computer. She said something about how what she thought would be really hard to accomplish without a computer played out better then she pictured. Another thing about her is she outlasted the other two students. Chel, one of the male students also shocked me by the crazy idea to give his girlfriend Kenny walkie-talkie watches in order to communicate. Besides the students the fact that during 2007 colleges and universities had already began to use online assignments. I guess, as about a 6th or 7th grade we had never really seen the use of online assignment software. With that all begin said we have definitely seen a change in technology since the time of the documentary. This leads me to think of the question- would it be easier or harder to give up your computer now and days. I would say it would be a lot harder and I say this because the line of what can be considered to be a “computer” or device with computer capabilities have definitely blurred. For intense my iPhone is not consider to be a computer however I can access or do almost everything my computer can do. So would a smartphone user have to give up their phone to? Honestly as a student I could give up my “computer” but not my iPhone that has the capabilities. This experience would only work for me if it were to give up the form of technology like television. Television is something I hardly watch/”do” now that it would be weird to give up but I could mange. Otherwise this lady will stay plugged into her technology.

XOXO,

Clarissa

1 comment:

  1. I can totally agree that it would be an extremely challenge now a days for so many people to give up their computer or smartphone (basically a computer). I think that it would be a good thing to unplug for awhile because I would hope that my reaction would be similar to Katelyn’s, that it wasn’t necessary to binge use my computer. I’m not totally sure I could make it as long as the students did, but I would like to try for a little while.

    ReplyDelete