Tuesday, February 17, 2015

"If You're Reading This It's Too Late" -Clarissa



(Cash Money/Young Money Records)

        Rappers and the rap industry go through phase of "hot" and "popular" to "dead an gone". I was shocked to read that despite the fate of failure for many rap industry dynasties Cash Money/Young Money Records had escaped that faith. I religiously listen to artist part of the Cash Money/Young Money Records and was shocked to hear that the label is said to be splitting.
Artist Lil Wayne wants to no longer be part of the label he called home for many years. Wayne is asking to leave the label, as well as Nicki and Drake. Wayne has been open about his desire to leave the record label, however Nicki and Drake have reminded mostly quiet. However I feel that Drake's release "If Your Reading This It's Too Late"  is his way of saying that he doesn't want to be a part of cash money records. As you listen to the songs, you get the vibe, that his songs are implying that he no longer wants to remain neutral in the splitting of labels. I personally, as a fan of YMCMB Records, the division of Birdman and LilWayne, Drake, and Nicki will provide the music industry with more music that will fit with the artists style. As a listener for many years, i feel the style of the listed artists, has greatly changed due to the desire to keep the record label music similar. All in all, if drakes album was his way of saying he no longer wanted to be a part in Cash Money Records, the music was produced well, leaving me with large hopes of a better musical future.

If you would like to read the article for yourself, here is the link;
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20271-if-youre-reading-this-its-too-late/


xoxo
Clarissa 

2 comments:

  1. I also wrote about Drakes surprise release of his mixtape. I have come to the same conclusion that the split of the record label will be more beneficial for the industry as a whole. I have always been a Drake and Lil Wayne fan, not really a Nikki fan (because frankly she has terrible lyrics) and I am happy to see them leave the label. I really like the way Drake has gone about secretly leaving with this mixtape. It takes a stab at all those who have crossed him and sets a bench mark for his next full album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't follow music as closely as you or Lukas, but I am glad that you have hope for the future especially since you are so decided to the label. I listen to some of each of those artists music, but I don't have full albums of any of them just a few songs here and there. I think it is really interesting and cool how Drake "told the world" that he was leaving the label.

    ReplyDelete