Wednesday, May 13, 2015

"Cleaned up" Blankets


(Cover of Blankets by Craig Thompson)


Growing up in today’s society- well any society we face tons of issues. Whether these issues have to do with questioning meaning, sexual experiences, questions surrounding ones faith and many more issues. The book Blankets by Craig Thompson really captures a first hand story of a teenager going through these issues. The author Craig Thompson did a stunning job explaining and capturing these experiences. As I was first assigned to read a graphic novel I was just floored, how are we college students reading a comic book is what I thought originally. However I was just shocked and moved by the storyline.



Reading the graphic novel was one thing but when I watched the trailer for Blankets by Dtaberner on youtube, the storyline of Blankets was brought to life. I felt the trailer did a decent job capturing the key points and elements you read about through out the book. I thought to myself, as I have read the book blankets already, would someone on the outside, an individuals who hasn't read Blankets yet, want to read it from the trailer. So seeing as I was very ill and unable to leave my bed for most of or if not all of Monday evening, Tuesday, and Wednesday I asked my roommate and her friends to watch the trailer. She watched and looked to me and said "Can I borrow your book", I laughed and handed her the massive graphic novel. So to answer my first question, the trailer can spark interest in the novel Blankets. The music and the images used in the trailer are what reminded me the most of the emotions in which the novel sparked in me. Growing up I faced many of the same issues Craig did, our main character, going through struggles with faith and falling in love with my Raina- Emilee. He used images from the book that in themselves explained every emotion that moment, that line, that page was supposed to spark in you. It really just makes you think about your childhood and life issues. If I were to be in charge of creating and producing a trailer for the graphic novel, I would gear it to the high school age students and the young adults in today’s society. I feel like the stories within the story are ones many individuals within this age group can relate to and connect with. Like I mentioned before I have openly dealt with many of the issues within the story. I would add more pictures or a few story lines from within the story so that the can get a glimpse. Maybe have a voice record of someone reading lines. I felt the trailer didn't give you enough of the story behind the issues Craig faced. I would just do some edit changes as well to the flow of the video. The blue bubbles with the white writing did not make it easy on the eyes. Otherwise the trailer did a descent job sparking interest in the graphic novel Blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment