Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Blankets- a telling story

Growing up in today society, let alone any society we face tons of issues- whether thats with race, economic standing, faith, sexual experiences and so much more. The book Blankets really helped capture  a first hand story of going through these struggles. The author Craig Thompson did a stunning job explaining and capturing this experience. As I was first assigned to read a graphic novel I was just floored- how are we college students reading a comic book is what I thought. However I was just shocked and moved by the story and each and every line.

When I watched the trailer for Blankets by Dtaberner on youtube, I felt it did a decent job capturing the key points and elements you read through out the book. I thought to myself- as I have read the book blankets already, would someone on the outside, an individuals who hasn't read Blankets yet, will they want to read it from the trailer. So seeing as I was very ill and unable to leave my bed for most if not all of Monday evening, Tuesday, and Wednesday  I asked my roommate and her friends to watch the trailer. She watched and looked to me and said "Can I borrow your book", I laughed and handed her the massive book. So to answer my first question- the trailer can spark an amount of interest in the novel Blankets. The music and the images used in the trailer are what reminded me the most of the emotions in which the novel sparked in me. Growing up I faced many of the same issues Craig did- going through struggles with faith and falling in love with my Raina- Emilee. It really just makes you think about your childhood and life issues. If I were to be in charge with creating and producing a trailer for the book, I would gear it to the young teenage and young adults in todays society. I feel like the stories within the story are ones many individuals within this age group can relate to and connect with. Like I mentioned before I have openly dealt with many of the issues within the story. I would add more pictures or a few story lines from within the story so that the can get a glimpse. I felt the trailer didn't give you enough of the story behind the issues Craig faced. I would just do some edit changes as well to the flow of the video. The blue bubble with the white writing doesn't make it easy on the eyes. So if I were to be target the teenage group and try to get them to read the book, I would start out by aiming it to those who may not read much or struggle to read but need to feel a connection to something. I was that teenager growing up, I hated to reading and writing but wanted to feel a connection if I was to read. This book provides that and gives them issues they can understand. I would also target this book to anyone going into teaching middle school, junior school, or high school levels. I say this because- yes they have experienced this once before but however it was years ago for most educators. This will allow them to have an easy read, as well as understudying of the main issues most teenagers that age are dealing with. All and all the books biggest connection should be with making a connection and understanding with people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment